The Union of European Football Associations(UEFA) has already kick-started the Club-Frenzy Champions League for this season 2013-14. UEFA Champions league, the most popular UEFA competition was started in 1992/1993 season in which top 1-4 teams of national club leagues of all member countries of UEFA compete against each other. The 1st qualifying match was played on 2nd July,2013. Now when the qualifying rounds and play-off round have finished, the top qualified 32 Teams(22 auto-entrants and 10 through play-offs) have been split into 8 groups of 4 teams.These 4 clubs will play home and against matches against its pool competitors from September-December .The top 2 teams from each of the 8 groups will advance for the 1st knock out rounds followed by 3 more knockout rounds and a much awaited final!
Let us see how is the remaining road to the final for the clubs this year!
Current Points Table of The Group Stage(as on 28th September,13)
All the Teams in each group has played one match each and are left with 5 more matches(Home and away games) till 11th of December. The Top two teams from each group will qualify for the knockouts.
The 3 Knockout rounds include last 16, quarterfinals and semi-finals. Clubs will play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis. In the last 16, group winners play runners-up other than teams from their own pool, while from the quarter-finals on the draw is free. The Knockouts will begin from 18th February, 2014 to 30th April, 2014 when the 2nd leg of semifinals will be played.
Lisbon will stage the Final Match at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica on Saturday 24th May,14.
The UEFA Champions League Facts and Figures Till Now!
- When Lionel Messi scored the third goal for FC Barcelona’s 4-0 win against AFC Ajax at home. It was the Goal Number 6,100 in the UEFA Champions League.
- Lionel Messi is the player with most hat-tricks in the history of champions league, ie four!
- The Štruncovy Sady Stadión became the 142nd venue to hold a UEFA Champions League match!
- FC København will play their 150th match in UEFA Champions League when they lock horns with Real Madrid on 2nd October,2013.
- Celtic and Olympiacos’s next unwanted defeats will be each club’s 100th defeat in UEFA champions league.
- FK Austria Wien became the 128th club to enter the group stage.
- Tottenham winger Gareth Bale was transferred to Real Madrid for a record 85.3 million pounds eclipsing the previous 80 million pounds paid by Real Madrid to Manchester United for Christiano Ronaldo
As the Group Stage matches go on, the heat will turn up subsequently! Keep Cheering for your team, be it Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, Manchester United or PSG FC. That was What’s up with UEFA Champions League 2013-14.