One of the most hazardous industries on the globe is building and construction. Therefore, the safety of workers must be given a lot of focus. In its recent findings, McKinsey & Company found that customers and regulatory authorities are demanding better workplace safety today more than any other time in the past.
One of the best methods of promoting better health and safety practices in the construction industry is holding toolbox meetings. These are safety meetings aimed at increasing awareness of the health and safety of staff in construction sites. In this post, we will tell you why you should digitize your digital meetings. Further, we will highlight how to go about the process.
Toolbox Meetings: What are They?
A toolbox meeting is a daily safety talk that is attended by all workers on site, including supervisors and safety personnel. A good toolbox meeting should be comprehensive, informal, and engaging, helping to promote knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the respective workplace.
Some of the subjects that are included in toolbox meetings include workplace hazards, personal protective equipment, safety training, electrical safety, and asbestos awareness.
The toolbox meetings are mainly done by site managers or supervisors at the construction site before the start of a new shift. They are usually short, taking between 10-15 minutes. During this time, workers are able to learn about safety, gain insights about safe practices and without losing a lot of their workday. When done well, it comes a long way in making the workplace safer and more reliable.
Advantages of Using Digital Toolbox Meeting Systems
There are many reasons for going digital with your digital toolbox meetings, and we are going to highlight the common ones:
- You can easily create and complete a meeting from anywhere on the construction site.
- Allows you to track workers’ attendance to improve accountability.
- Helps to promote a safe and healthy working culture in a construction site.
- Retrieving reports from mobile devices and the web is possible in real-time because the data is stored on the cloud.
- It is easy to download and share previous toolbox meetings using PDF.
How to Select the Best Digital Construction Toolbox Meeting Program
To enjoy all the benefits that come with using the digital toolbox meetings that we have listed above, it is important to ensure you have the right program. So, a good program should allow you to do the following:
- Easily develop a toolbox library: This process should not just be easy, but also scalable with different types of content. The program should allow you to digitize paper checklists, develop customized meetings templates, and create a library of topics on various aspects of safety.
- Adding participants to the toolbox meetings: If you have new workers or personnel, among other persons who are now part of the construction team, the program you select should make adding them seamlessly.
- Mobile support: A good construction program today should be developed to support both computer and smaller smartphone screens. This is important because most workers on site might prefer using phones while office personnel select computers.
- Off-site capability: If the reception at the job site is poor or not working, the program should still be able to work. This means that it will not hinder workflow in the construction site.
As you can see, your construction site safety should always come first, and the best starting point is a good toolbox meeting. By going for digital construction toolbox meeting programs, the process becomes more engaging and intuitive. Gathering feedback and building a library of meetings is also pretty easy.